Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chapter 4

Key Point #1: Allowing the reader to choose what she will read increases engagement.

Reflection: I completely agree with this and believe this idea holds true for most activities and assignments. Allowing students a choice in reading and assignments gives them a sense of independence and ownership about their learning. They are more engaged in the reading because it is something they are interested in and can relate to. I know that when I have to read for my classes, I am much less focused and interested in the reading if I am uninterested in the topic being discussed. The same holds true for assignments and projects. When I am allowed to choose what I want to do for an assignment or project, I take much more pride and ownership in it. I like the freedom to bring in my own ideas and be creative with whatever I decide to do.

Key Point #2: Personalized reading and writing offer students time of quiet reflection to respond personally using the language arts.

Reflection: I think this quiet reflection time is extremely helpful for many students. Not all questions are answered in class and not all students feel comfortable asking questions or expressing their opinions in class. Journal writing is a great way to get those questions answered and voice those opinions. It is another time in which students have the freedom to write about what they are interested in or concerned with. I think it can open up communication between teachers and their students; and make students feel more comfortable about approaching the teacher with questions or concerns.

Key Point #3: Open-ended questions need to focus on predictions that will engage the student in active reading through the entire length of the story.

Reflection: The author mentions that good predictions cannot be answered within the first few minutes of reading. Effective questioning can help guide students to make valuable predictions that require reading most or all of the text to prove or disprove the prediction. Students will lose interest and desire to read if they find the answer to their questions or predictions right off the bat. However, if they are constantly looking and waiting to find those answers as they read, they are more engaged and pay closer attention to the text.

Key Point #4: Initially, students are informed of their inefficient strategies and shown the efficient counterpart.

Reflection: I do think it is important to identify and correct inefficient strategies, however, I think this can be a sensitive issue for some students. Not all students can take criticism, even if it is followed up with suggestions for improvement. Pointing out a student's poor reading habits may hurt their sense of self-esteem and confidence. After all, you are telling them that what they have been doing all along is wrong and ineffective. On the other hand, pointing out a student's poor reading habits may offer a sense of relief, especially if the student has been struggling with reading. The student may welcome criticism and alternative strategies. I think teachers need to be careful and sensitive when addressing the issue.

Key Point #5: Students are taught to match the book to their reading level by using the rule of thumb.

Reflection: I had never heard of this rule before and found it quite helpful. It goes back to the idea of allowing students choice and independence when selecting reading materials. Teaching students easy ways of selecting appropriate texts helps reduce or eliminate the problem of frustration level reading materials being selected. Students are given a tool that will help them choose reading materials that will best meet their needs and reading level. As a result, they have a greater chance of seeing success when reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment