Key Point #1: For this student, a text that was read near frustration without teacher direction could be read at independent reading level with instruction by the teacher.
Reflection: I think this goes to show that proper instruction can result in improvement in reading achievement. Struggling readers can make great strides in reading when they are given the proper tools and instruction to succeed. I have seen situations in which students try to complete a task or assignment independently, but give up or fail when they become frustrated. When they are offered some suggestions and guidance on how to approach the task or how to rethink their approach, they are able to complete the task or assignment independently. I think this helps students feel better about themselves and makes them more willing to approach challenging tasks in the future.
Key Point #2: She decides whether the reading task will be silent or oral and whether the story will be read as a whole or in segments. She decides whether she will introduce new vocabulary words and how to do it.
Reflection: The approach a teacher takes to reading can impact how the student performs on the reading task. I think vocabulary instruction is very helpful, especially when introducing text on an unfamiliar topic or subject. Students will struggle less while reading the text if they have been introduced to some of the challenging vocabulary ahead of time. Student will be able to read with greater ease and understanding because they will understand the meaning of these new words and concepts. Students may also notice that some words are used differently depending on the context in which they are used. I like to introduce students to multiple meanings of a word and the different ways the word can be used. The students see how the meaning of the word changes when used in different situations.
Key Point #3: The teacher demonstrated the next segment of the text. Terry was asked to follow the example, but he again read the words without thinking.
Reflection: I think this just goes to show that even with explanation and demonstration (modeling), not every student will use every reading strategy. Some students may just need more practice, but some may never use this strategy successfully. Those students will need to be given additional options to use for similar reading tasks. This could also show that this teacher does not have an accurate understanding of what the student's reading needs are. The teacher may be using strategies that do not support the student's needs and reading difficulties.
Key Point #4: She (the diagnostic teacher) focuses on teaching rather than testing to reveal those instructional adjustments that produce reading change for a particular student.
Reflection: Sometimes I think teachers forget that their are other ways (rather than testing) to determine if change or improvement has been made. I think observations are much more helpful than any written test. I also find open discussion to be more helpful than oral tests. I think tests can intimidate students and induce unnecessary panic and anxiety. I believe students read with more ease and greater accuracy when they are reading comfortably (under comfortable conditions) and casually. I also do not think tests can accurately measure all aspects of the reading process. I think each test measures one or two aspects of the reading process so students have to be put through several tests to test the entire process. I just think this is so frustrating and stressful for these poor kids.
Key Point #5: Whenever the diagnostic teacher can conduct a series of diagnostic lessons to compare the effectiveness of several techniques, she increases her ability to confirm the diagnostic hypotheses and select the best possible instructional approach for the reader.
Reflection: I think it is very important to introduce a variety of strategies and techniques to help students. There are teachers that will stop looking for possibilities when they find one technique or strategy that works. I think this will hurt the student in the long run because his/her options are limited to one. They do not have the option to choose which works best in a given situation or context. The more options and strategies you can offer a student, the better off they will be. Not every student will excel with every strategy-some work better than others for each student. If teachers can incorporate several strategies in their diagnostic lessons, they can see which strategies are most effective and helpful for the student. This can help them modify their instructional approach when needed using other techniques that they have seen success with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment